[ut3] Greetings---is anyone still here?

Keith Z-G keithzg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:21:18 EST 2012

Yeah, even in the limited, invite-only beta, if you can (and it's very
easy) get yourself the client there are quite a few games working. That's
extremely promising. I feel like this is building on what the Humble Indie
Bundle has been doing for awhile (with a lot of those games ported by Ryan
Gordon---hey out there, Icculus!) and in fact a lot of the games up listed
on the private Steam beta are ones that were ported to Linux for past
Humble Bundles.

I think many have said that it's not to hard to port a game if it's
programmed from the start to be ported, and in this increasingly fragmented
gaming market (Windows PCs, the growing presence of Linux and OSX, the
Wii(U), 360 and PS3, whatever follows the 360 and PS3 respectively,
Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows
RT/Metro/Not-Metro/Notro/Modern-UI/whatever...) writing or using an engine
that's platform-agnostic or at least easily translated would seem to be
hugely advantageous.  Add this to the rumors of a Steam Box, which would
pretty much inevitably run Linux, and things are looking pretty bright.