[ut3] News regarding UE3 on Mac

Keith Z-G keithzg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 20:25:52 EST 2011

AFAIK there's never been any definitive proof that it's Gamespy.  That being
said, Gamespy has certainly caused cross-platform legality issues before,
for an example close-to-home here see:
http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger.pl?user=icculus&date=2004-12-06&time=23-43-09
<http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger.pl?user=icculus&date=2004-12-06&time=23-43-09>
http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger.pl?user=icculus&date=2004-12-09&time=23-12-07

Strangely enough, I even seem to vaguely remember some outright statement
that it wasn't, but I can't quite recall or find this (we are, after all,
working on a timescale of years at this point). The problem is, we can try
and parse the exact words and contort the permutations until we think we've
figured something out, but ultimately that gets us nowhere---

---and, what's worse, it forces folks like Ryan to be very, very careful
with their words (especially in the shadow of any NDAs dangling silently out
there).  So, ummm . . . hmm. Well, I'm going to throw this out there again,
if anyone actually has the know-how, it's quite possible that the difference
between the UT3 Server Beta binaries and the full server binaries will show
the culprit.  Remember, in theory the full release of the server had
whatever offending piece of middleware stripped from it, but the beta
shouldn't.  So in theory if anyone has the talent to decipher such things,
comparing the two versions should give us some measure of actual evidence.

It seems unlikely that it's straightforward, since AFAIK nobody has done
such a thing, but in case anyone wants to take a crack at it I'll do the
only thing I really have the skill to do, post a link:

http://treefort.icculus.org/ut3/