[ut3] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

Valeriy jazzvoid at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 18:37:46 EDT 2011

2011/7/4 Keith Z-G <keithzg at gmail.com>

> <...>

It was bad enough when they announced iOS support, since the
> underlying technologies are not only nearly the same but there's some
> extra porting they'd have to do that they *wouldn't* need for Linux or
> OSX (ex OpenGL ES), which makes it look like they're saying "oh, it'd
> be too much work..." as they're nonetheless doing the work to get to
> Linux and then just keep on going past it. But no, that wasn't
> ridiculous enough, nowadays UE3 is on Android and OSX too. At that
> point "porting" becomes a matter of fiddling with compile-time flags.
> I mean, seriously guys? They're drawing big circles around Linux,
> porting it to every possibly Linux-like platform and doing 99% of the
> work---they might as well just come out and say "yeah, Linux isn't a
> company or a brandname or a consumer market share, so our corporate
> culture is to hate and dismiss it irrationally."

Here we go again. In this particular situation, I hold the opinion is that
UT3 was ported long ago and it's just some kind of middleware conspiracy.
Basically, everything you need to run the client except graphics and audio
was already ported, even PhysX and Gamspy, because they're essential parts
of the server component. Icculus posted a pair of screenshots with UT3
running (with graphical artifacts though?) on Linux && OSX long ago and I
don't see any reasons to fabircate those. Even if ports were buggy, EPIC
would release 'em at some point just to calm down the minorities for a
moment. Besides, many proprietary Linux games suffer from bugs and glitches
that are never fixed and it wouldn't be the first unfinished port.

As for other situations, it either compiles and runs on Linux, or it does
not. Taking in account vast amount of middleware that got no Linux/OSX
support I think it's pretty easy to make porting as hard as writing
everything from scratch. Developers who had no intent to make a
cross-platform game will probably never make it cross-platform.

--
Valeriy