[ut3] hey

David Ellis isv.damocles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 00:31:10 EDT 2010

I was in high school at the time of the Quake 3 vs Unreal Tournament war. I
always thought the "war" was an example of tribalism mixed with nerd rage,
and personally enjoyed both games for different reasons. Unreal Tournament
had much more "style" than Quake 3, both in level design and weapon design.
People bitched about UT's weapons, but I considered them a bit more
realistic [direct hit with a rocket usually meant death, so did point-blank
molten scrap {flak cannon}]. Most of the weapons in UT could kill quite
quickly, but they all required different play styles, which made it much
more fun for a diverse group of friends in a LAN party (especially
considering all of the awesome team modes in UT, easier to just shout
something to a friend rather than keybind statements that you need to think
of in advance and they might not read, anyways).

Quake 3 felt more "competitive", though. The levels were designed to keep
the action frantic for their recommended number of players, and the weapons'
behavior was warped to better fit a concept of balance which was wholly
unrealistic (if you could fire a ball of plasma, it should pretty much kill
you instantly, for instance), but it sure was fun to "juggle" foes in the
air with rocket blasts, or travel impossible distances with rocket jumping,
plasma climbing, or with just the plain strafe-momentum bug/feature. The
Quake 3 trick videos are still fun to watch from a "how the hell did he do
that?" perspective.

TL;DR - Q3A was all about tricks and competition, UT was all about fun at
LAN parties. People who chose one over the other were lame for limiting
themselves just to "belong" to one side or another.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Richard GrosJean <richard.grosjean at gmail.com