[ut3] unsubscribe

Keith Z-G keithzg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 20:29:12 EST 2010

Back in the day when I was still bothering to play it (well, mostly by
that point I was playing ETQW to be honest) I'd just start a new
session in Openbox instead of KDE or Gnome; that way there's
definitely no desktop effects or notifications or whateverthehell else
to get in the way.  If I wasn't doing anything else I'd just quit my
main desktop session and run *only* an Openbox session.

Actually when you think about it it's kindof ironic how much gaming
companies and die-hards hate/ignore Linux; with Linux you can very
quickly just boot up a computer to be running only what you need to
play a game and absolutely nothing more.  All that tweaking and
optimizing effort that the 1337 gamers do and they're still running
things on a one-size-fits-all bloated OS, with all their fiddling
amounting to mere fractions of percentage points of difference.

It's always funny when now and then Wine runs a game with few enough
big compatibility issues that it ends up running it *faster* than
native Windows does, which I've seen happen.  And in my experience at
least on the same PC back when the game was new UT2004 ran far better
on  Kubuntu than Windows XP.

And I'm sure if Ryan got to release his binaries UT3'd run better on
the latest Linux kernel than on Windows 7, but we'll never know
because of mysterious legal bullshit.  Sigh.  At this point I honestly
probably care more about finding out in truth what's holding up UT3
than actually playing it, although I'll stand by my word and buy it
the very same day if the Linux client is ever actually released.