[ut3] 3D-Realms Bancrupt !?!

Keith Z-G keithzg at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:38:18 EDT 2009

I wouldn't say impossible...or at least, not for *that* reason.  At one point
they claimed to have 97% rewritten it; if they just GPL'd that part and the
engine and content was actually worth it, I'm sure people could replace that.

Of course, that's only if they weren't completely lying.

Also, it wouldn't happen anyways.

For one, unless their engine is actually this-generation tech, there's quite a
few GPL'd FPS engines that are already established and perhaps even
prettier/easier-to-work-with, like Sauerbraten or the ones based on Carmack's
GPL'd code (like Nexuiz's Dark Places engine, or the ioquake3 engine that
powers Tremulous and Urban Terror and etc etc...hey, io means icculus.org,
Ryan Gordon strikes again!).  So why would anyone waste their time and effort
wrestling with code that's likely not in a workable state and doesn't have an
established dev community?

Secondly, the engine is probably going to be considered an asset (as
unrealistic as that idea is), so at one level or another even if someone in
the company wanted to GPL it there'd be people higher up that would stop that
during the bankruptcy process.  It's even more unlikely they'd give up the
content.

Oh, and third, anyone out there waiting patiently to be given some golden
nugget of semi-recent FPS code in GPL wrapping is probably just waiting for
Carmack to release ID Tech 4 (you know, Doom III and all that), which actually
has a better release date than UT3-Linux (as in, it's also completely unknown,
but Carmack has guaranteed an eventual release while Epic's management lately
has sounded less than supportive of Ryan's efforts).

.....anyways, back to trying to get UT1/UT99 to run on my 64-bit computer (I
really, really wish Epic would GPL the Unreal 1 source, if only for being able
to recompile it and make it way easier to run on 64-bit systems and
netbooks...maybe even PPC?  Man, Unreal 1 with the Wiimote would be sweet).