[ut3] 3D-Realms Bancrupt !?!

majic.one at gmail.com majic.one at gmail.com
Mon May 11 09:08:44 EDT 2009

I dual-boot Vista just to play UT3.  On Linux I play ut2004 all the time.  (I am primarily a Linux fan, so I play ut2004 much more often.)  I'm definitely impressed by the graphics of UT3, but it does feel like a step back in some ways...  can't carry the flag in vehicles at all, and I've only seen a few people actually work together to tow each other online...  Manta is a magnet for everyone with an IQ below room temperature (old joke, but meh), and the redeemer is way too easily found.  I truly do miss the Assault and target painter from ut2004.  And imo, maps are smaller in UT3--I believe it was advertised that on average they were larger?  They may look nicer, but I have played some pretty huge (read: third-party) maps on ut2004.  Now those were actually challenging my GPU quite a bit...  I don't think ut2004 will ever die because of what was lost in the transition.  UT3 is a whole different ball game and in a lot of ways it's been a disappointment.  Things have gotten better once I upgraded my GPU to a nice Nvidia GTS 250 for $110 at Fry's Electronics a week back.  But maps are *huge* downloads... maybe I just have a slow connection.  (3Mbps down/1.5Mbps up).  I did like the addition of the Titan mod.  Though, I had wished one would lose the ability to use that powerup if they died before "accepting" it with 'R'.  One nice mod I really liked in ut2004 was a scorpion with a roof-mounted machine gun, "Scorpion MKV".  Anyway, just wanted to share...  I look forward to the Linux client, even if the economy has slowed down development. :) (Btw, so f---ing glad the lightning gun is history and that sniper rifles are so satisfactory.)