[ut3] Other linux games

Keith Z-G keithzg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 17:41:25 EDT 2009

You mention "space flight sim", so I should mention the best space
flight sim of all time: Freespace 2!  I mean sure it hasn't been
"recently released", but it's constantly being updated.  These days
the engine can be cranked up to "quite modern" (ie. very shiny).
Furthermore, there's an easy Java-based installer you can use to
download it and all the mods and additions you might want for it
(which includes tons of extra campaigns and even a port of the single
player campaign of the original Freespace).  And of course it runs
fine on Linux or (if you have to) corporate OSes like OSX and Windows.

You can learn more by going to the Freespace 2 Source Code Project's
page, or you can just get the installer and try it all out yourself at
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/ .  I really highly recommend it, it's a
brilliant game.

Of course in the FPS realm Alien Arena 2009 was just released, Nexuiz
got a new release recently, OpenArena continues to chug along, Urban
Terror is still out there, Tremulous could be good if anyone ever
played it online, etc etc.  Actually, for general game news that's
usually applicable to Linux, you can just keep up with
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/ , of course it's all open-source games
so it is missing a small segment of games for Linux (although in
recent memory the only thing that comes to mind is World of Goo) but
there's still lots of stuff there (especially RPGs) that you might
take a look at.

Chances are good that there'll be a Linux client for Rage, but that's
a release date of "when it's finished" stacked on top of a release
date of "when it's finished", so I wouldn't hold my breath heh.