[ut3] Issues, Ideas, and Hopeful Thoughts

majic.one at gmail.com majic.one at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 16:30:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:14:04 +0200
B1tchkilla <b1tchkilla at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Majic wrote:
> > The Hellbender is frustrating.  I love that you can hit people in the
> > main gunner with a sniper, but the shots from that are just not
> > powerful enough and don't fire quickly enough.  I sorely miss the
> > behavior from Unreal Tournament 3.  If you could spend a short time
> > charging up the shot and then firing something moderately devastating,
> > that would be lovely.  Otherwise, it is practically useless against
> > airborne vehicles and takes much more skill to fire with than
> > something like the Goliath gunner.
> Guess you mean "the behaviour of UT2004"?
> Not seeing a charge status bar does not mean you can't charge ;)
>
> > ... balance of vehicles ...
> If there was an equivalent for everything then there was no need for a
> second race besides the story. I think the vehicles are good as they
> are, just some maps lack balance because of the numbers and types of
> vehicles used. That's not a fault of the vehicles themselves.

I guess I would have to agree there... it's just that the people I've played against are so focused on pitting Necris against Axon and it often seems a bit unbalanced..  Now I'm not really sure how to improve it. :\

> > The final issue is just a simple thing on the map called Kargo.  When
> > I hit the jump in a Scorpion I managed to flip it over and land it on
> > it's roof in the low area around the ship.  The vehicle usually
> > destroys itself when it touches this area, ...
> Really? It's been a while since I played the game due to time reasons
> but IIRC I used to drive aroud the ship and don't see a reason why it
> should explode ... it never did for me, only if I used self destruction ...

Well, when I was playing I was just messing around and jumping over the ship from the two ramps... perhaps it's because I hit the floor with the front so bluntly?  It's just strange that the exploding effect would last until I flipped the car back over... If it's possible to just drive around normally, perhaps this is an issue with the car exploding as a result of an unstable landing. :\  (this was with the thruster)

> Btw. I didn't see your mail as a rant, just wasn't always clear to me
> what's your point in general :-)
> Hope I can be back to the game soon.

Hmm, I dunno... the gameplay is much different from UT2004.  I find it much harder to go and *get* the flag with the vehicle ctf maps.  I wish there weren't actually a Vehicle CTF gametype but instead you had the option to add or remove vehicles to maps that supported them.  Still think it'd be fun to play deathmatch on SandStorm... even being that it's such a big map.  Maybe the end-of-match screen for vctf could just also provide the readout of how many kills each player got. :\

Bleh, I'm rambling...  hope to see you in the game. :)