[ut3] STFU

Josh Medley lostman at liquidcode.org
Mon Jul 6 22:40:27 EDT 2009

I've long since got over the fact it isn't being released. While I
absolutely hate to see it; the industry as a whole is moving away from PC
gaming. Doing it for a small subset of a market you are moving out of
doesn't seem very productive to me. I can see a few genres stay on the PC
platform for quite some time, sims type stuff, MMO, solitaire  I guess.
Everything else makes more sense to develop for the console market. There is
a standard hardware platform to develop for, there is a pretty decent( and
getting better) deathgrip on DRM, and they are starting to gain the benefits
that was historically the PC bread and butter ( online play and whatnot.
Maybe other shit too but my only console is a hacked original xbox I use to
stream video to the TV, I don't even play games on it). The people who are
computer smart and want to play games are also the same people who know how
to operate a bittorrent client and probably "in the know" on the latest
tracker.

My subscription to this list has evolved from informative, to perturbed, to
angry, to bitter, to morbid humor. I will never buy another product from
Epic. Shame too, I was the "Unreal" guy at the office. UT2k was freaking
awesome. Linux client, shitload of mods when it was out ( was one where you
fought in fricking hot air balloons that I LOVED, and a top town aliens type
one that was good fun ), tons of players online all the time, tons of maps (
my fav are rats type maps ). The "Make Something Unreal" contest was sweet.
I had a couple servers running with various mods and maps for awhile and
would get my coworkers to buy copies to frag it up. We needed to test some
new switches so we all stayed late. The IT dept vs Sales in various
maps/game types. I absolutely loved that game. Now?

Epic can burn down and I wouldn't shed a tear.

excuse grammar and spelling please. I just got back from the dentist and my
face feels like I took a shock rifle combo. Using alcohol as a health pack.

PS. The IT vs Sales was pretty much even. Our sales team was the only one I
have ever liked in my years in the industry.