[ut3] Official release date

[FnG] Lambik fng.lambik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:08:06 EST 2009

[quote "Sir Brizz"]They delivered a functional game. If you bought it the
way it was packaged, you have no one to blame but yourself if it disappoints

It's not only the linux community, but the wide spread of PC gamers are
complaining about the support that EPIC has shown the past year.
The product which was released was not finished, infact I bought a S.E.
version which was actualy the RC.7  :S
I did not buy it to play it on linux, but even the windows version was not
the quality we as UT community are use to.
In the past EPIC had released UT versions which at start had problems,
performance, bugs, etc, but they did fix the urgent matters within weeks,
and the other stuff after a few months.
That is what this community was expecting with this release too, giving
support, using the feedback we as UT ppl were supplying to improve the game,
giving the ppl the sense they are part of the process.

When you take a look at how many servers that are running and being used,
compare that with any other game of the same level, then EPIC should be
A successor of UT2k4 should atleast contain the same functionality.

So in short to Sir Brizz, *yes we are only to blame but ourselfes*. The fact
remains that we are entitled to spread the word that EPIC has failed to keep
their promise,
that they have let down our trust, that our advise is not to buy the game.
You may call it complaining, I see it as warning other users for the bad
quality game EPIC has created.

EPIC has proven the following :
"Results of the past are never a guarentee for the future"
just my 2 cts,

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:45 PM, <ceil420 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I'm tired of you acting as though Linux users that bought the game
> just did so with no promise of functionality in their platform of choice.
> They were led to believe they would be able to play the game on Linux at or
> shortly after release. The blame for the wasted money may be 80% on the
> players, but Epic themselves also shoulder some of that blame. Especially
> considering their history of Tux-friendliness; particularly with this line
> of games. This isn't Blizzard or EA we're talking about, but a company known
> to support. Linux with past titles, and one that promised playability with
> the latest as well.
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sir Brizz <sir.brizz at gmail.com>
>  Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:38:25
> To: <ut3 at icculus.org>
> Subject: Re: [ut3] Official release date
> Fair enough, My response to your message wasn't really intended to
> target you. I can completely understand people buying the game with the
> expectation that the client would get released, I just wish people on
> here would use a little more brain power instead of just slapping the
> blame on Epic as if they had no involvement in the decision making
> process at all.
> Brizz
> On 2/6/09 11:32 AM, David L. Willson wrote:
> > I didn't personally buy the game, but I understand the motivation of
> those that did.  It's important to show approval for ISV's that are allowing
> their customers freedom of choice.  The best way to show that approval is to
> buy their stuph.  I think it's important to wait until the cross-platform
> goal is achieved, but I understand the desire to reward Epic's promise or
> intent.  I wanted to, too, but because I've been in software a while, I
> thought it better to wait and reward achievement.
> >
> > David L. Willson
> > Network Engineer
> > MCT, MCSE, Linux+
> > tel://720.333.LANS
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Sir Brizz"<sir.brizz at gmail.com>
> > To: ut3 at icculus.org
> > Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 11:26:53 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
> > Subject: Re: [ut3] Official release date
> >
> > Well, this post:
> >
> > http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584654
> >
> > Was made 5 days before the game shipped, and indicates that the Linux
> binary was not ready (something that could have easily been inferred from
> other forum posts around the same time).
> >
> > And, I'm sorry if you're trusting, but, frankly, the Linux binary could
> come out in 5 years and they wouldn't have lied. They never gave a timeline,
> and if you assumed that it was about to be released, you were fooling
> yourself into it.
> >
> > I agree that the binary should be out by now, but I'm not involved in
> Epic's business so I don't know what is holding it back. Recent posts by
> Ryan Gordon suggest that the binary is practically (if not completely) done,
> but it's likely stuck behind the same legal hurdle that it was before. What
> is Epic meant to do about that?
> >
> > And it just doesn't change the fact that Epic didn't do anything but give
> you consolation that a binary would come out at some future point, and based
> on that you made the decision to buy the game. You still bought the game
> knowing that what you were buying it for did not exist yet. That was your
> decision, not Epic's.
> >
> > Brizz
> >
> > On 2/6/09 11:20 AM, David L. Willson wrote:
> >
> > There's that fine line again, Brizz.  Epic (your car dealer) didn't say
> "should be".  They said, originally, that it "would be" in the box.  Then
> just before release they said, "OK, it's not going to make it into the box,
> but it will be released."  Not "should be", but "will be".  Which led some
> trusting souls to buy the game on faith, led other, less trusting souls to
> wait, and then led trusting and non-trusting souls alike, to, at some point,
> say, "Well, what the ~fuck~, Epic?"
> >
> > David L. Willson
> > Network Engineer
> > MCT, MCSE, Linux+
> > tel://720.333.LANS
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: ceil420 at gmail.com To: ut3 at icculus.org Sent: Friday, February 6,
> 2009 11:16:02 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
> > Subject: Re: [ut3] Official release date
> >
> > Except that we originally weren't told 'in the future'. The dealer told
> us the GPS was included. The dealer lied. At least admit _that_ much.
> >
> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
> >
> >
> >  From : Sir Brizz
> > Date : Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:08:33 -0700
> > To :<ut3 at icculus.org>  Subject : Re: [ut3] Official release date
> >
> >
> > Yes, Linux is not suitable for games. Actually, Linux is fine for games,
> games are simply not made for Linux. So if you're a PC gamer, anything but
> Windows is not a choice (and if you say Wine works great, I'll slap you).
> >
> > Now, I do have to admit a little guilt in responding here, because I knew
> all you guys like to bitch and moan anytime someone comes in here that
> doesn't agree with you, but sorry. The reality of this situation is that you
> are bitter and want to blame someone other than yourselves. This is really
> more like if you called up the dealership, asked if the car had GPS, told no
> but it should be released free at some point in the future, bought the car
> anyway and then proceeded to complain that the GPS was still not out after a
> year. You bought the car despite the fact that it was missing the one thing
> you wanted it for, you're the one to blame in that scenario.
> >
> > Brizz
> >
> > On 2/6/09 10:39 AM, [FnG] Lambik wrote:
> >
> >
> > The person that told 'It has GPS in it' happens to be the salesperson,
> and then yes you can expect to have GPS in it !
> > Not sure what kind of point you're trying to make, but seems to me your
> only business here is to stir thing up,
> > as you have state to play games on windows only.(Linux not suitable ??)
> > Pre ordering a game has the risk of getting something that isn't quite
> what you expect of it, but in this case there has been promised support for
> linux OS aswell.
> > Epic has the reputation to support linux on all UT series, which has
> formed a good basis of trust, which they have broken, and that is why ppl
> are upset with EPIC.
> > That is something they have every right to.
> >
> > Lambik
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Sir Brizz<  sir.brizz at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > For what? They didn't market UT3 as having Linux binaries included or
> available.
> >
> > The problem here is that Epic never guaranteed anything. I appreciate you
> wanting brand new boxes or whatever your case may be, however that doesn't
> change the fact that you bought something that didn't include the sole thing
> you bought it for. Can you imagine, taking this same thing to a more
> terrible and surely less appropriate analogy, if you bought a car because
> someone said it had GPS in it, never test drove it, and realized after
> purchasing it that it didn't have GPS in it? Would you blame the person who
> told you or yourself for not looking into it more?
> >
> > I understand that people wanted and were expecting and (possibly)
> promised Linux binaries and are upset, but, frankly, you DON'T have anyone
> to blame but yourself if you paid the money for it already. Did Epic make
> you spend that money? YOU were encouraged by what they said, YOU made a
> decision, and YOU spent the money.
> >
> > Brizz
> >
> >
> >
> > On 2/6/09 10:14 AM, Luiz Gustavo Angelo wrote:
> >
> > Epic could be sued by this, couldn't ??
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Matthias Bach<  marix at marix.org>  wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> >
> > On Friday 06 February 2009 17:57:02 Sir Brizz wrote:
> >
> > And for those of you whining about how you bought the game and haven't
> > played it because there is no Linux client, sorry but maybe you should
> > have waited to buy it until there actually was the only thing you were
> > buying it for? That seems like the practical thing to do in any
> > situation. You are missing the point. When I ordered the game there had
> been a statement
> > by Epic that there would be a Linux-Installer on disc, as it had been
> with
> > 2K4. Later they said it wouldn't be on disk, but available on the day of
> > release. Therefore, as I kind of like to have nice game boxes that I can
> show
> > of, I did not bother to cancel my preorder. The problem is that I trusted
> Epic
> > to keep to their promises.
> >
> > Did you buy Prey the day it came out hoping that Ryan Gordon
> > would release a Linux binary for it, too? No I didn't, because nobody
> promised that Prey would be ported. When it
> > finally was ported this was a pleasent surprise.
> >
> > If you want to be a thrifty
> > consumer, then be thrifty. And if you aren't thrifty, don't whine that
> > you made a mistake and try to blame it on Epic or anyone else. You don't
> > have anyone to blame but yourselves. Maybe I have, but then it is not for
> expecting Epic to make a port, but for
> > trusting Epic to deliver the software I ordered.
> >
> > Personally, I'm sure a Linux binary will eventually come out for UT3 and
> > when it does I will probably use it. Maybe it will, after all it's
> already supposed to be done. The real question
> > is, will their still body to play against. Will the engine still be
> something
> > competitive to base your mods on? By the time it will probably take one
> could
> > just as well start writing an own engine ...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Matthias
> >
> > ---
> > To unsubscribe, send a blank email to ut3-unsubscribe at icculus.org
> > Mailing list archives: http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-cgi?64
> >
> >
> >
> ---
> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to ut3-unsubscribe at icculus.org
> Mailing list archives: http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-cgi?64
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://icculus.org/pipermail/ut3/attachments/20090209/56cc75b0/attachment.htm>

More information about the ut3 mailing list