[ut3] Official release date

Fri Feb 6 13:32:44 EST 2009

I didn't personally buy the game, but I understand the motivation of those that did.  It's important to show approval for ISV's that are allowing their customers freedom of choice.  The best way to show that approval is to buy their stuph.  I think it's important to wait until the cross-platform goal is achieved, but I understand the desire to reward Epic's promise or intent.  I wanted to, too, but because I've been in software a while, I thought it better to wait and reward achievement.

David L. Willson
Network Engineer
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sir Brizz" <sir.brizz at gmail.com>
To: ut3 at icculus.org
Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 11:26:53 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [ut3] Official release date

Well, this post:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584654

Was made 5 days before the game shipped, and indicates that the Linux binary was not ready (something that could have easily been inferred from other forum posts around the same time).

And, I'm sorry if you're trusting, but, frankly, the Linux binary could come out in 5 years and they wouldn't have lied. They never gave a timeline, and if you assumed that it was about to be released, you were fooling yourself into it.

I agree that the binary should be out by now, but I'm not involved in Epic's business so I don't know what is holding it back. Recent posts by Ryan Gordon suggest that the binary is practically (if not completely) done, but it's likely stuck behind the same legal hurdle that it was before. What is Epic meant to do about that?

And it just doesn't change the fact that Epic didn't do anything but give you consolation that a binary would come out at some future point, and based on that you made the decision to buy the game. You still bought the game knowing that what you were buying it for did not exist yet. That was your decision, not Epic's.

Brizz