[ut3] Epic Demonstrates Unreal Engine 3 for the iPod Touch/iPhone 3GS

Keith Zubot-Gephart keithzg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 19:04:22 EST 2009

Just watch.  Epic will start to port it to Maemo or Android and then go "oh
wait!  Crap!  That's Linux!  Cancel that, then; Windows Mobile it is."

It's getting kindof absurd at this point.  They even went so far as to re-
write the editor GUI using wxWidgets, but to date there is still no sign of a
Linux or OSX port of any of the games, much less the editor.  Yet now they
have a version for the iPhone OS, which is a vague derivative of OSX running
on ARM?

Or to sum up, despite allegedly developing UE3 as cross-platform, they can't
manage to port it to Linux or OSX on PCs (x86) despite having ported it from
Windows (x86) to PS3 (PPC), Xbox360 (PPC) and now the iPhone (ARM).

Do they seriously want us to believe that there's an actual technical reason
preventing UT3 or the current UDK from being released on Linux or OSX?  It's
obvious that either:
(a) they really, really don't care,
(b) there's legal issues that they're too sissy to admit, or
(c) a combination of both.

I suspect (c) since (b) has seemed to be Epic's attitude in their few public
stop them from doing the logical thinking that a small amount of effort might
end in a decent number of sales in terms of Linux and OSX.  Add what Ryan
himself has hinted at, and it's pretty clear that there's some legal hurdle
with middleware that Epic has stupidly gotten themselves into (did anyone ever
compare the initial server release for the demo to the full one?) and because
they'd rather create for closed ecosystems they only scarcely care about
Windows; OSX is a smaller market than Linux and Linux is too open for their
current business model, so . . .

. . . well, I'm getting into paranoid territory here.  But it's really just
that I'm quite sad.  I mean, it was way back in 2003 that I joined the
BeyondUnreal forums, and that itself was after years of lurking there and at
its predecessors.  I was always a huge Unreal fan, starting from the first
game and onto the latter games and the engine itself, spending hours and hours
just toying around with the editors and UnrealScript, and . . . well,
somewhere along the line Epic stopped being the company my past-times were so
involved with.  They've probably been drifting away for awhile, I suppose, but
. . . sigh.  I just cannot respect them anymore.