[ut3] Possible reason for UT3 Client delay

Ceil ceil420 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 00:34:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Jeroen Trippe (m3t internet/clanspace) <
jeroen at m3t.nl> wrote:

> just to stir up the discussion again:
>
> http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger.pl?user=icculus&date=2008-09-18&tim
> e=06-38-30<http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger.pl?user=icculus&date=2008-09-18&time=06-38-30>
>
> ;-)

> [snip]

> I've been following Ryan's work for years, and I just can't believe that
> there have been technical issues holding him back for 7 months. Granted, I
> don't care all that much. I doubt I'll ever play the game, even if/when a
> Linux client does come out. At this point it's just a matter of watching
> the
> Linux community get bent over and lubed up...
>
> --
> Alex Malinovich
> Support Free Software, delete your Windows partition TODAY!
> Encrypted mail preferred. You can get my public key from any of the
> pgp.net
> keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837

I read a short chat log a while back where Ryan said the linux client was
'tied up in legal', which of course let loose the rumours that a third party
developer (since Epic Games decided to fail us so hardcore they can't even
work with Tux-friendly companies) may have licensing issues that won't work
with Linux. The question for a while was, which one?

A lot of people thought it was Aegia with their PhysX graphics, but I read
in a letter here that Aegia was actually working with Ryan to port the game
to Linux, so I doubt it's their fault. I also doubt that it's Microsoft
paying him to hold back the Linux/Mac clients; I wouldn't put it past them,
but I just have the feeling that's not the problem.

Personally, I think it's GameSpy. They're not just hosting the master server
anymore like they did with UT - their software is a lot more embedded in the
game, and I don't think a crappy company like that is very Tux-friendly (I
could be wrong, though).

Mostly speculation, of course. I won a copy of UT3 in an IRC contest, and
it's now lost somewhere in my room - the disc never having been removed from
the box. I wouldn't buy a copy if the Linux client went out today, though.
Epic Games turned their backs on us, so I'll not be buying a future title
from them. UT3 will be the last Epic game I own - I just hope that one day
I'll be able to play it.

--Ceil