[ut3] UT3 Linux server startup issues

[Apoc]Death death at apoc.org
Sat May 10 06:58:39 EDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Kevin wrote:

> Rob,
>     Thanks for the reply, I have tried a wide range of command line
> options I have seen and even several from a command line generator
> site. None seem to have any affect on it. Currently I tried the
> following.
> ./ut3 server DM-Arsenal?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?GameMode=0?
> NumPlay=5?MaxPlayers=5?MinPlayers=1?TimeLimit=20?GoalScore=20?
> BotSkill=1?ServerDescription=084000101000115000116000?
> bIsDedicated=True?PureServer=0?bIsLanMatch=True -Login=xxxxx -
> Password=xxxx

Hmmm, looks ok at first glance.  Some minor cleanup items...

-Pretty sure you should strike out the "ServerDescription" etc since
that can easily be specified in one of the ini files (as can a lot of
the other settings).

-Also note that you don't need to specify gametype unless you're
playing a gametype that is not the same as the default for that map
(ie. teamdeathmatch in DM-Arsenal).

-Other flags you might want to add to the call are "-nohomedir", "-
unattended" and "-multihome=<your_ip>" at the end of the line, with
space delimiters and no quotes...  Yes, try the last one, even if you
only have one IP address...  Don't ask...  ;)

-Just to make sure it's stated, you do have a distinct gamespy acct
for this server, right?

linuxy questions...

- any juicy details about your linux setup?  distro, etc?

- Are you running SElinux?  if so, that's bad.

- How about 64-bit kernel?  pretty sure that's also a potential
trouble spot.  Probably solved by 32-bit binary compatibility
libraries, though?

I found some decent info from this post on the Epic forums, in case
you can glean more from it than from me:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=599751

> I do know on one of the other servers I have set up I could just
> run the "ut3" file and it would fire up and do nothing but it would
> at least start.

Does this also fail on the machine in question?

Also, a log file from the crash would be good to have, not just the
console output.

-Rob