[ut3] [UT3] Linux-Client

Lloyd Taylor movablev at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 01:26:33 EDT 2008

I'm going to assume that this comment was made from a lack of knowledge, rather than spite.  Either way, it is not constructive.

a) typically game programmers work as an entire team on a project.  for instance, Valve did not have a single programmer working on HL2.  There was an entire team.

Ryan Gordon is working largely on his own to port code that is written to talk to the DirectX API.  All of the aspects of the game that call on DirectX have to be rewritten to call on OpenGL instead.  This is no simple task.

b) Linux, as a gaming platform is highly marginalized right now.  Ryan's report of client usage for UT2K4 was the highest I've read, and he stated it was just over 1%.  Most companies will not even consider hiring someone to port for that kind of minority.  Goading one of the only companies that has consistently done so is not constructive.

c) Ryan has already mentioned that there are some things that have gotten in the way of the client release that were unexpected.  Everyone is frustrated because most were expecting (several months before the game was released) a release of the linux client that would coincide with the game release.  Now people are frustrated because they are not hearing frequent updates on the status.  While this is understandable, taking shots at Ryan Gordon is again, unproductive.  If you are starving for communication regarding the client, I suggest contacting Epic politely.  They may not respond, but it will be more constructive than comments such as this one.

Hendrik Ueltzen <rayzile at googlemail.com> wrote: I am happy that not more Gaming-Developers today working as slow as Ryan. He needs so much time for a simple port? How much time would he need to develope a full game. It's ridiculous that we don't have a linux-client 6 month after the game-release. But I think there will be a client, when Microsoft is developing for Linux we may get the ut3-client. ;)

2008/3/23, David Voge <davidvoge at googlemail.com>:
 > > Is the client optimised fpr dual core cpu ?
 >
 > Yes, on all platforms, it will take advantage of multicore systems.
 >
 > --ryan.

 > 10/14/07:
 > Thomas Kowaliczek wrote:
  > > Will it give an 64 Bit Linux version? like ut2004 ?
 >
 > No plans to do this at this time (but if I ever get a free moment, I'll
 > look into it...I have a feeling that a lot of middleware is going to be
  > problematic this time around, though).
 >

> 10/26/07:
 >
 > > What on earth makes you think there are FAR more Linux gamers than
 > > there are Mac gamers?
 >
  > There were, at least for UT2004.
 >
 > I would speculate that this was due to several factors:
 >
 > - a free OS that runs on commodity hardware all over the
 >  planet, instead
 > of requiring premium-cost hardware and maybe a 125 dollar OS update.
  > - readily available copies of the game at clearance prices (buy the
 > Windows/Linux disc wherever games are sold...but it's still 39.99 USD at
 > Apple Retail stores and the rare places that sell Mac games right this
  > very minute!).
 > - A lack of high-end video cards for the Mac (and a good portion of the
 > available systems being unable to upgrade video hardware anyway) when
 > the game was still new and hot.
  >
 > Taking that into account, it's not surprising that there were twice as
 > many people playing on Linux.

Much more Player would Play under Linux if more Gaming-Developers today
  are thinking like Ryan.

 Keep going so .....

 Greetings,
        David