[ut3] Linux client update

Scott Hilleard scott at netsight.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 05:55:54 EST 2008

Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 22:25 -0700, Sir_Brizz - BU Staff wrote:
>> Enjoy your two games while the losers on Windows have about 40 to pick
>> from ;)
>
> You know, I've played most of the "great" FPS games that have come out
> in the last 6 months or so, including BioShock, Call of Duty 4, and
> Crysis, and the ONLY one that I'm still playing is ET:QW, on Linux. Part
> of that is because I hate rebooting and part of it is because, honestly,
> it's a great game. We don't need to have 600 crap games in Linux, but as
> long as we get the GOOD ones I'm happy. That's why I'm hoping to see UT3
> soon. And I know that it'll happen sooner or later, and in the meantime
> I'm perfectly happy to keep playing ET:QW. :)

Yeah, ET:QW is great. I have my own server in our companies data centre
running ET:QW. Originally I had been planning to run UT3 on it, but I am
not hosting a server for a game I can not play myself (due to there
being no UT3 linux client - I will not buy or install a copy Windows
just to play a game). I pre-ordered my copy of UT3 in anticipation of
UT3 for Linux, so am disappointed it has not yet surfaced, but ET:QW has
nicely filled the void in the mean time. And on the linux games front I
still have Penumbra: Black Plague (http://www.penumbrablackplague.com/)
to look forward too! Its predecessor Penumbra: Overture is really great
(http://penumbra-overture.com/) and the games are actually not expensive
at all, which is cool. I think gradually the linux market for games is
increasing :)

Scott Hilleard                                      scott at netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.        Business Vision on the Internet