[ut3] UT3 Linux client

Ron Overdrive rakeron at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:13:13 EST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 3:42 PM, Ryan Ordway <rordway at oregonstate.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2008, at 11:29 AM, Serphet wrote:
>
> > The linux and mac clients are almost identical in code. So whatever
> > snag the linux client is in, the mac is also in.
> >
> > I say there are almost identical because they are both ogl based.
> > Honestly i'm still not sure what the differnece is except for perhaps
> > kernel stuff.
>

> MacOS X is based on BSD, so it's quite different from Linux "under the
> hood". As people have already said, they are very similar. But they
> are still different enough to make it possible that they won't be
> released together. The networking stacks are very, very different.
> Depending on how low-level the code gets, there can be some very big
> differences.
>
> Having had experience having to choose between supporting one platform
> or another first, I know that it will come down to whether they want
> to delay one or the other to get the other out first. They may choose
> to release both at the same time, but the two platforms are definitely
> different enough that they may decide to release one first. Who knows?
> I don't.
>
> That being said, I'm writing this e-mail on a Mac. I'd love to see the
> Mac client out, especially if it has the editor!
>
> Linux and BSD both use the elf standard for binaries, though I believe the
Mac side is a little different if they're releasing a Universal binary thats
compatible with both PowerPC and Intel based Macs. If they're releasing a
Universal Binary that's almost twice the amount of coding they have to do so
the linux binary would probably be released first. Plus there's the changes
to the libraries between Tiger and Leopard thats another challenge so they
have to make sure its compatible with both OS's before releasing the
installer.