[ut3] linux client

Jordi Bosveld jotti at jotti.org
Thu Feb 28 11:46:30 EST 2008

David L. Willson wrote:
> Really?  Has Ryan said, "I'll come and tell you when other demands on my time become too
> much, and work on this project takes a back seat?"  Has he said, "I'll let you know if
> Epic entertains a purchase offer that comes with the stipulation that nothing is
> developed or released for the Linux OS?"  Not that I know of.  As far as I know, he
> said, "I'm working on it."  I've worked on a lot of things that didn't get done and
> shipped.

That is very much correct, but does that really make these inquiries any
more valuable? Maybe I was a bit too sarcastic earlier, so I will spell
it out (and feel free to still disagree afterwards):

It is not about whether:
- you are right or not
- the linux client is indeed still being worked on or not
- Ryan or anyone should inform us about anything or not
- this is fair or not

It is the simple, perhaps sad, fact that asking for updates and moaning
about the lack of a Linux client on this list is not going to provide
you with any satisfying response whatsoever -whether you appreciate that
or not- until it is released and it will only further increase the
amount of useless messages ending up in the archives.

> Periodic statements, by a responsible and trustworthy person
> (Ryan, in this case) that the product is coming, are needed.

You stated these messages telling us "I'm working on it" should not be
taken as a definite indicator work is still being done as he could be
economically or legally bound, etc. etc. so they essentially do not mean
anything (a valid point for just about any business you make here). But
now you claim you need these messages anyway? That does not sound very
logical to me.

Besides, he said he would let us know if he had anything to let us know.
I am sure if you hire Ryan personally you can ask him about updates any
time you please... meaning he is under no obligation to tell _us_
anything here.

> Periodic questions, by an
> interested purchasing group, (us, in this case) are also needed.

Of course, but surely there are better places to do so than here. I
submit to you it is very unlikely that anybody at Epic high enough on
the ladder to make a difference is reading this list.

Please... -and do not take this personally- no matter how right you are
on all accounts or how unfair this is to all of us, these endless
threads of complaints are not going to help anybody any more than an
autoresponder telling you "it is being worked on" could.
--
Best regards,

Jordi Bosveld