[ut3] NVidia buying AGEIA

Spike spike at spykes.net
Sat Feb 16 04:34:36 EST 2008

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:00:46 -0600
Eric Jackman <eric at polycypher.com> wrote:

> Looks like they are shooting for Physix Processing starting with
> existing hardware in the 8 series cards.
>
> http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14147
>
> Sir Brizz wrote:

You can say goodbye to any possible Linux support right there, period.
NVIDIA are more interested in the 3D workstation industry with regards
to the Linux drivers. They're not interested in what the plain user
wants, like you and I.

Examples:

SLI only happening in Linux because HP demanding it, and even then, its
completely lackluster in performance compared to Windows.

Non-existent Purevideo support, NVIDIA completely ignores all requests.

They wont fix the very slow 2D drawing lag problem that exists with all
8 series cards, despite *hundreds* of requests.

Not re-implementing XvMC support for 8 series cards, and failure to add
MUCH requested x264 acceleration support. All requests ignored.

Lack of any HDMI-Audio support on HDMI equipped cards, despite requests.

Bottom line:

That said, you expect to see PhysX support on 8 series cards in
Linux? Yeah right, good luck with that one. You have to be a big OEM
with the bucks in the 3D workstation industry to convince NVIDIA to add
new features to their Linux drivers. The features mentioned above
won't help their bottom line, so they wont bother with them.

We had a much better chance with Ageia and standalone PPU drivers in
getting Linux support. I'm sure it probably would of surfaced sometime
after the Linux UT3 Client release, if that part ever happens even.

Plenty more examples can be found at
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Regards,

Bren