[ut3] Ask you self...

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Tue Apr 8 10:13:46 EDT 2008

On 4/7/2008 5:15 PM, Sir Brizz wrote:
> With that mentality, most of the upcoming games over the next few
> years are never coming. :p
>
> Brizz
>
> Raphael Brunner wrote:
>> Have you ever asked yourself why ryan or someone else don't answer to
>> questions around the linux-client?
>>
>> If it's true, that I working on something, I can give a statement about
>> it. If it's not true, then I better say nothing (if I'm unfaithful or
>> someone has it prohibited to speak about!)

I think the point he was trying to make was that it doesn't take more
than a minute to send out an update on whatever progress has been made.
As a programmer, I not only need to give a deadline for when I plan to
deliver a product but I also must routinely give status reports to those
people who have commissioned me to do the work.  Since good lines of
communication are the best way to keep everyone informed, I have to
agree that it would make everyone feel much better if there were some
kind of regularly scheduled update on the status of any given project.
Even if the message says the same thing as last time, at least everyone
would know that there is someone actively doing something.

For some perspective, I've dealt with Ryan since the days of the
original UT.  To say he is an exceptional programmer is certainly an
understatement.  It has also been my experience that Ryan doesn't engage
in regularly scheduled update postings to his mailing lists.  I never
asked him why because he has always come through in the end and
delivered outstanding products.

Having said that, I don't think it is unreasonable to have someone in
authority, be it Ryan or one of the folks who has commissioned him to
work on this project, simply give us an estimate of when things should
be finished.  If that isn't possible, then a time when we can next
expect to hear an update would be the next best thing.

As others have correctly pointed out in the past, the work will be done
when it is done.  I certainly agree that is the case.  The question is
really whether the practice of not keeping customers updated on the
progress of an important release makes good business sense.  In my
experience, keeping customers informed is the only way to keep them
happy.  There's an old saying: "If you don't take care of your
customers, then someone else will."  If the folks in charge want to keep
their customers happy, then I think it makes a lot of sense for someone
to spend the few moments it takes to put out a post to this list every
couple of weeks to let everyone know the project is still on track.  A
tentative due date would also be much appreciated.

To do anything less certainly makes one think why the minuscule amount
of effort to keep us in the loop has not yet been made.

Tom