[ut3] Older Linux Servers

Mark Shields laebshade at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:18:01 EDT 2007

On 10/18/07, mix <mix at openflex.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There was a comment from ryan:
>
> >> Are you saying the ut3beta dedicated linux server needs the SSE2
> >> instruction set?
> >
> > It's built with -march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse ...
> > so it will use generic instructions that were only available on P4-level
> > hardware, and sse2 for all math operations.
> >
> > If you're still on Pentium III level hardware, it's time to upgrade.
>
> I think the last phrase says it.

As someone else pointed out, calling an Athlon XP processor (which is what
that thread was about, mostly), "Pentium III level hardware", is inaccurate
and fairly harsh.  My question, which appears to have been unanswered to
date, is that:  does it require sse2 instructions?  Does the code actually
require sse2 instructiosn?  Stating it's built with that by posting the gcc
options doesn't tell me the actual program requires it, just that whoever
compiled the code made it require sse2 support.

--
- Mark Shields