[ut3] Older Linux Servers

cdx codex at grytz.net
Thu Oct 18 10:46:23 EDT 2007

Arnaud De Mouhy wrote:
> Its completely random for the client. Only the server has to have a
> fixed port. This is a fundamental of NAT/PAT :)
>
> Arnaud
>
> Le 19 oct. 07 à 16:27, Sander a écrit :
>
>> cdx wrote:
>>> Hi Cory,
>>> netstat -nap will tell you this
>>>
>>> 1 udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:13000 0.0.0.0:* 2644/ut3demo-bin
>>> 2 udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:7777 0.0.0.0:* 2644/ut3demo-bin
>>>
>>> 3 tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:43821 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2644/ut3demo-bin
>>> 4 udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32769 0.0.0.0:* 2644/ut3demo-bin
>>>
>>> 5 tcp 0 0 192.168.2.100:34810 207.38.11.34:29900 ESTABLISHED
>>> 2644/ut3demo-bin
>>>
>>> 1 and 2 are fixed ports, 3 and 4 are random (and afaik can not be
>>> fixed in the linux version), but not needed for establishing
>>> connections from the internet, but i dont know if the server will
>>> appear on the list
>>> 5 is afaik just the connection to the master server
>>>
>>> i only forward 1 and 2, because its a private clanserver, and
>>> therefor its not important to be listet in the server list
>>>
>>> sorry for my bad english
>>> best regards
>>> Jan

>>> ---
>>> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to ut3-unsubscribe at icculus.org
>>>

>> While we're on the subject of ports and such, would somebody please
>> explain something to me with babysteps? I live in a university dorm,
>> and thusly, I'm behind a firewall I have no control over. This
>> firewall has closed all UDP traffic, with a few exceptions, but it is
>> possible to apply for a opening of ports. What ports (both TCP and
>> UDP) would be required to play (note: not host a server) UT3 online?
>>
>> Yours sincerly
>> Sander
>>
>> ---
>> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to ut3-unsubscribe at icculus.org

Thats right, the ports on the client are chosen randomly for each
socket. I think he whants to ask the admins for setting up a firewall
rule that allows udp traffic to a specific destination port e.g. 7777.
If they block alloutgoing udp traffic he definitly can't play the game
without such a fw rule.

best regards
Jan