[ut3] gamespy

Alan H. Gifford alan_h_gifford at bluebottle.com
Tue Oct 16 10:51:48 EDT 2007

Here's a question, why is GameSpy something I should care about?

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but the fact that I'm required to use
something called Game*Spy* just doesn't sit well with me.  If my guess
is correct, then it is exactly that: a game spy.  Much like the little
members' keychain for grocery stores to track your purchases, or spyware
that collects information about your Internet usage, I'm thinking
GameSpy collects info about which games you play and how often (and
more, I'm sure), and sells that information to the game companies.

Whether or not this is actually a bad thing depends on what information
they're collecting.  Either way, I don't feel like I need it.  I don't
feel like the game companies need it.  I've managed to enjoy playing PC
video games for more than 15 years without having some centrally
controlled login procedure, and I'd have to say that I've thoroughly
enjoyed the experience.  I've bought and enjoyed many games, and will
continue to do so given the past gaming trends.

What if I want to play on a LAN?  Will it allow me to set up on a LAN
that's disconnected from the Internet?  I would hope so.  I really
dislike all the software moving toward a point that almost nothing but
the bare essentials will work without Internet access.  It's very weak.

Just my 2 cents.