[ut3] Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War Linux Status

Joel Wiramu Pauling aenertia at aenertia.net
Thu Nov 22 01:07:34 EST 2007

Opengl 2.1/2.0 essentially use a similar abstraction interface as does dx10
to remove need for hardware specific extension support from stuff that uses
them. Essentially it comes down to the quality of the drivers. Nvidia is
pretty good at pumping out new extensions into there driver releases.

Technically the fps difference should be moot. But some features may be
missing from dx10/opengl and vs versa (i.e number plates in ut2004 were only
added to a very late release because nvidia didn't ship the particular
extension for ages).