[ut3] Linux Server and AMD Athlon 2600 dual processor

Dominic Lepiane archangel at nibble.bz
Fri Nov 16 11:21:14 EST 2007

Yeah, I would like to know how much this pandering to out-dated CPUs is going
to affect the rest of us.  I think sse2 was a reasonable requirement.

<edit>Pretend I had a huge long rant/flambait about people with old
processors</edit>

On Thursday 15 November 2007 19:39:25 Kris Kersey (Augustus) wrote:
> I agree.  I know that you need to support the lowest common denominator
> but those of us with higher-end chips would hate to lose performance.
> Would it be a big inconvenience to have at least two binaries?  I know you
> have to draw the line somewhere.  Although, one for sse, sse2, sse3, and
> sse4 doesn't sound like a bad idea. ;-)  I'd be happy to do the
> benchmarking to test how much it actually makes a difference.
>
> Thanks,
> Kris Kersey (Augustus)
> LinuxHardware.org Site Manager
> augustus at linuxhardware.org
> Gentoo Linux AMD64 Developer
> augustus at gentoo.org
> AIM: Augustus22
>
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Joel Wiramu Pauling wrote:
> > Any chance of having a wrapper script that calls an optimized binary for
> > the particular cpu/arch flags?
> >
> > I know this increases the deployment payload but, I am a CFLAG opt nut,
> > and disc space is cheap.
> >
> > (Yes you could do install time magic also, but...)
> >
> > I know that with ut2004 there were issues with getting amd64 binaries
> > in-line with i386 and vs versa. So perhaps having one unified binary
> > wrapper would be the way to go.
> >
> > On 16/11/2007, Rick Page <mpcacrucesalus at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Thanks for the update Arne,
> >> The Celeron is Pentium 4 level hardware, but I am seeing better
> >> performance at a lower cost with the AMD. I have been comparing the
> >> two machines with different games and wanted to try UT3 demo before
> >> the retail release. I think I have seen enough good things with the
> >> AMD machine that I am going to stick with it. Please, this is not to
> >> start an Intel vs AMD war. It is just what I have observed. And yes I
> >> know that the AMD processor in this case is better than the slower
> >> Celeron, but price is also a factor here.
> >> Rick

> >> ---
> >> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to ut3-unsubscribe at icculus.org

Dominic Lepiane

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
- Ozzy Osbourne