CPU Usage 32bit intel <> 64bit amd difference

BasP maillistrecipient at gothica.nl
Sun Dec 23 18:47:52 EST 2007

I finally got to setup the UT3 server on some of my dual xeon machines the weekend, and was fearing to have to relocate servers as the CPU usage I noticed thusfar was insane.
My dual AMD Opteron (2,2GHz, 4GB Ram) running 64bit Gentoo eats 50% when the server is IDLE, thus not able to run more than two instances. Now I discovered that on my dual Xeon (2,8GHz old Prestonia 533MHz FSB) and Dual Core Pentium-D (3,2GHz) it eats 3% and 1# respectively (prolly caused mostly by the first running 500HZ mode, other 300HZ).

Have you seen, or do you have any idea what might be causing the Ryan, is it AMD<>Intel or rather 64bit<>32bit?

Kernels on the boxes (Opteron <> Xeon) are identical, apart from 32bit <> 64bit NUMA. 32bit boxes run slackware, 64bit one is gentoo, but all relevant libs are at the same levels. Would love to know what to 'avoid' for other servers, and lack options to test 32bit on the opteron, nor 64bit intel at this time.

Any heads up would be greatly appreciated!

Greet and do enjoy your Christmas and such and get back on this next year ;)

Sebastiaan Pais

P.S. Had you been able to look at some 'ServerReadStdIn' alike function?