[ut3] Gamespy

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Mon Dec 17 22:03:39 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 01:04 -0600, Oscar Ruiz wrote:
> Well…..we can start to sign the petition.
>

> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nomoregamespy/index.html

OK if you don't like Gamespy, what should they use instead?   There are
not many choices out there and frankly Gamespy is not the worst of them
to make?

You going to code up a master server and the client side libraries?
You going to  run & maintain the server for Epic and other game
companies?
You going to accept bug reports and provide security fixes for the
above?

No?

Can you point to something that they could use instead that would
provide the same functionality that you don't dislike?

No?

I looked at the above issue some time ago ... the work involved with
doing and figured out it's damn hard to do right. It would be nice if
there was some nice open source server & client for doing the things
that Gamespy, Windows Live and Steam do, but it's not likely to happen
near term.

Even if their was, most companies don't want to run their own servers so
you end up with somebody running it and you will always get <insert
company name here> sucks, we should write a petition.  People used to
love Google, but there is a small but growing group that consider it
evil.

::sigh::

OK I'm done ranting.

Paul