[ut3] Cant we all just behave?

biz biz at baze.de
Mon Dec 17 13:31:26 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 13:54 +0100, Thomas Ilnseher wrote:
> OTOH: You are working hard to get the linux release out, some greedy
> middleware provider keeps on throwing sticks between your feet, and then
> you have to read such a sh*t on the ML that you privately host ...

Middleware or not ... I personally blame Epic Games for this,
since they are the ones responsible for their own public statements.

I as an end-user don't care about the middleware and third party stuff they are using for their engine. If they officially announce a Linux server & client before the final game was even released, they should have looked into it - regarding the legal problems.

We don't talk about the pure Engine here, but rather about the game demonstrating their engine. So if the game "will support" Linux,
they should have made sure the Engine does, too. Regardless to say, if they are using middleware, they should have additionally made sure its licensed for Linux, too. And I don't think there would be such problems if they had just done this from the beginning as soon as they had the idea to build up on third parties.

So IMHO its just fair to blame Epic Games for their legal incompetence.

What do you think? Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you release software using parts of other software, the first thing you should be certain about is that there will be no legal problems. After this, go out and make public statements about what will be supported by "your" software. And don't blame on the middleware later-on, since you had its license before; and should have read it :-)

However, I agree these flamewars on here are ridiculous.. calm down.

Cheers