[ut3] Satirical take on Epics delay of the Linux Distro for Ut3 [video]

Slavik Goltser slavikg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:23:24 EST 2007

one of the selling points of the unreal engine is that it is platform
independent (or at least it was a selling point). When you have the engine,
you don't write C/C++ code which you then have to compile for multiple
platforms, you write UnrealScript which you then compile for the Unreal
Engine (read: Virtual Machine) (much like Java). Right now there is only
high end 3D engine which can claim platform independence and that is iD's
Doom3 engine (I am not counting Quake3 as it is pretty old at this point).

If I am a game developer looking to capture the largest market I can, I am
going to iD for their engine.

Unreal Tournament is a demonstration of the engine, much like Doom3 is a
demonstration of iD's engine. One of the points of the demonstrations is
which platforms are supported by the engine.