[ut3] Linux Client or Bust

Paul Canavan pcanavan at adaptivemobile.com
Wed Dec 12 09:12:01 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 06:38 -0700, C N wrote:

> Why is everyone freaking out about this?  They're saying it may be
> getting held up by legal issues (possibly by Ageia and their PhysX
> Engine: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=929&num=1).
> If that's the case, the release could be awhile.  Yes it would be nice
> to get a status on what is the actual hold up, but maybe they're
> silenced under NDA or something.  Everyone should sit back, relax, and
> play in Windows until it comes out :).  You'll at least get some
> practice eh?

Like a lot of people on this list (I'm guessing), I do not own a windows
licence and will not be paying for / installing one to play UT3.

I pre-ordered the game in 2005 expecting Linux support and recently
upgraded my hardware, partly in anticipation of UT3. I'm glad that it's
coming, but it does bother me that all my friends get to play it and I'm
left stuck with a game that's still shrinkwrapped.

It is still more important to me that the linux server comes out first
because I want there to be some community left when I actually get
around to playing it. Not looking so good at the moment. :(

None of this is Ryans fault, nor am I blaming him for it. It's a bit of
a mess up on Epics behalf not to have the linux server ship with the
game and is badly affecting the number of active players. The linux
clients are surely only a small percentage of overall gamers and
therefore unlikely to be of major importance. I'm aware of that and
prepared to suck up the wait because of it....still.....I'd love to play
it. :)

Paul.

This email and any files transmitted with are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error then please delete it and notify the sender. Do not make a copy or forward
it to anyone.  This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses.

Adaptive Mobile Security Ltd, Dublin Technology Centre, Taylors Lane, Dublin 8,Ireland
Directors: B Collins, L Burke (UK), G. Maclachlan (UK). J. Ennis (UK)
Registered in Ireland, Company No. 370343, VAT Reg.No.IE63903430