[ut3] Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War Linux Status

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Fri Dec 7 14:42:18 EST 2007

Matthew Thompson wrote:
> I couldn't care less if I had a boxed version or not. I always end up
> installing 100s upon 100s of mb patches after installation anyway, so
> whats wrong with using a client patch on a Win32 cd? It's not worth
> reprinting everything for a special edition when all they did was change
> the miniscule portion of windows-specific code to some other OS.

If it was purely about logic, you'd be absolutely right. But
unfortunately, this is about marketing. And in our case, WE are the ones
trying to do the marketing, not the ones being marketed to. Companies
want to see hard numbers. If I go down to EB and pick up a copy of UT3
today, that will show up as yet another sale of the Windows copy of the
game.

On the other hand, if they have a specific Linux version, or if I buy
from a Linux-only retailer like tuxgames.com, that sale shows up as a
Linux sale to the publisher's sales-drones. If we get enough of those
over a long enough period, we can (hopefully) influence enough companies
to follow in Epic's footsteps and support Linux with their new games.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837