[ut3] Linux port delayed due to legal problems?

Thomas Ilnseher ilnseher at eit.uni-kl.de
Thu Dec 6 09:46:48 EST 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 06.12.2007, 09:17 -0500 schrieb Jeff Dilcher:
> Where is the announcement that the delay is due to legal problems?
[quote]
I talked to Icculus last night and got a little information out of him
on
the status of UT3 and Gears of War.  Check out the post I made on my
site
with snips of the chat log:
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/21/0433201&mode=thread
[/quote]

everything supplementing that (ageia, gamespy, microsoft, COD4 must be
done before, etc...) is pure speculation. have a look at phoronix.com.

> I had the impression, but no evidence, that the product was rushed out maybe a bit "early",
> so as not to miss out on the lucrative Christmas shopping frenzy.
I guess so.

>   Had they not been
> pressured to get something out before Christmas, the entire product would have maybe been
> released a little later, but maybe would have had the Linux portion working, and an
> installer on the disc.
>
> I don't know if this has any basis in truth, but, you can imagine a conversation like:
>
> sales dept:  Is it done yet?  Christmas getting darned close!
> developers:  No, still finishing up some things, including linux port
> sales dept:  F*ck the linux port, those open source people hardly spend any money anyway,
>              get something out the door now!
Well, I'll expect that always, and that's kind of ... ok. Happened for
et:q3, doom3, quake4 ...

It was IMHO extreme luck that an installer was on the 2kX cds.

It was already clear that the linux port won't be done before the
windows version go gold, when that legal stuff became public. So this
legal stuff is no excuse for no installer on the retail cds.

--
Thomas Ilnseher <ilnseher at eit.uni-kl.de>