[ut3] Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War Linux Status

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Dec 3 15:14:04 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 13:49 -0600, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> >I only have to fit my gaming needs to the
> capabilities of my os. :(
>
> Linux is more than capable of being an awesome gaming OS. I would say
> the only thing limiting your needs are the Microsoft-only shops and
> companies that produce games these days. If only there were more
> iD-like companies around!

To be fair, the real name that we should be mentioning for fantastic
Linux support is Epic. (And more specifically, Ryan.) UT 2003/2004 are,
to date, the only games I've ever bought a CD/DVD of at a store, brought
it home, and installed straight into Linux from the media.

While id's support has been fantastic as well, and there are other
notable companies that have supported us (BioWare comes to mind, despite
the incredible delays, and Introversion though they're not nearly as
well-known as they deserve to be), I've thus far been incredibly
impressed with Epic. That's why I'm trying to remain as patient as
possible with waiting for the UT3 client. Besides, I'm still busy
playing ETQW, so an extra few days without UT3 won't kill me. :) (This
year has been fantastic for online shooters in Linux.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837