[ut3] Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War Linux Status

[Apoc]Death death at apoc.org
Mon Dec 3 12:42:11 EST 2007

> On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:13 PM, Matthew Thompson wrote:
>> This is getting a little offtopic, but I use Linux as a gaming OS.
>> I had a subscription to Cedega but I recently let it expire for
>> one reason: all the games I play work very well under plain Wine
>> (Steam games like the Orange Box and other things like Guild
>> Wars). Not only is Wine free but it's got an easier to handle
>> registry and drive symlink system.

I am the same, though I confess never having tried Cedega.  Free Wine
has largely been great for me, and I just don't bother playing the
games that don't work.  Typically I avoid buying a game unless it
already partially runs under Wine, though, so this is not a big
deal.  Honestly, I find many games are better under Wine because of
the abstraction Wine provides...  I can do things with these games in
Wine/linux that I could never have dreamed of on Windows.  It's been
very fun to play with.

On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Chris van Es wrote:
> we dont want linux as a gaming os ffs. we need linux to host some
> quality servers thats the prior ! Fucking crappy servers are out
> there with shitty pings. we need some good  shit ffs. i aint even
> playin ut3 cause of the lak of good servers.

While I agree with your analysis on the servers 100%, I want linux as
a gaming OS too, and I use it as such.   I feel like a real jackass
for putting together a WinXP dual boot just to play UT3, and without
Ryan's port, I will likely not play the game for very long.  It's a
stopgap so that I can get some of my UT2kX mods ported relatively
quickly to UT3, as I promised a fan or two.  After that, I'll go back
to waiting on the linux port.  I'm just way too lazy to reboot all
the time.

On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:20 PM, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> I've briefly used the Windows client to play, but the online server
> population right now is almost depressing. I'll be playing UT04 for
> the time being (better dedicated servers, better client ;) ).

Agreed.  Most of my clan are not even buying the game for the time
being, due to lack of my server (most) and due to lack of the linux/
mac client (some).  I'm not going to put up a server until Ryan gives
me a tasty linux one.  It just isn't worth it to me, and besides,
he's the friggin man (Would you like some ketchup with your ass-
kissing, sir?  ;) ).

-Rob