Tracking down lack of sound

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Sun Apr 20 14:25:22 EDT 2008

I've been playing UT2K4 for quite a while now.  Previously, the game
played perfectly.  However, recently I've lost sound.

Just prior to losing sound I was attempting to get sound to work through
a stereo bluetooth headset, but as far as I know I've backed out all
changes that were made in attempting to get that working.

I've removed my .asoundrc and .openalrc files along with the entire
.ut2004 directory.

Any and all attempts to run the game give the following output:

$ ./ut2004
open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy

The device does exist (/dev/dsp) and there is nothing using it:

$ sudo lsof -V /dev/dsp /dev/sound/dsp
lsof: status error on /dev/sound/dsp: No such file or directory
lsof: no file use located: /dev/dsp

As far as I can tell this is the only file currently in place that would
affect anything:

$ cat /etc/openalrc
(define devices '(alsa))
(define alsa-out-device "default")

I am able to play sounds using either aplay or play and other games seem
to work just fine.

Any suggestions and/or help tracking this down would be most appreciated.

--
Jamin W. Collins