ut2004 crashes when joining certain servers.

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jul 29 00:37:01 EDT 2006

Hi everyone, having problems recently with the game crashing trying to
join the Death Warrant and UNR servers. I try to join, and the game
immediately crashes every time, and it left this message in the log file:
~~~
Critical: ReadFile beyond EOF 0+4/0
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: CTRL-C has been pressed.

Log: appRequestExit(0)
Log:
Developer Backtrace:
Log: [ 1]  ./ut2004-bin [0x874bdd9]
Log: [ 2]  ./ut2004-bin [0x874c0de]
Log: [ 3]  [0xffffe420]
Log: [ 4]  [0xffffe410]
Log: [ 5]  /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 [0xa7f971de]
Log: [ 6]  ./openal.so(Posix_LockMutex+0x1f) [0xa2bef21f]
Log: Unreal Call Stack: UALAudioSubsystem::Shutdown <-
UALAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError <-
UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError <- FUnrealfileSummary<< <- CheckGuid
<- appFindPackageFile <- UNetPendingLevel::NotifyReceivedText <-
UControlChannel::ReceivedBunch <- UChannel::ReceivedSequencedBunch <-
Direct <- UChannel::ReceivedRawBunch <- DispatchDataToChannel <-
BunchData <- UNetConnection::ReceivedPacket <-
UNetConnection::ReceivedRawPacket <- UTcpNetDriver::TickDispatch <-
UNetPendingLevel::Tick <- TickPending <- UGameEngine::Tick <-
UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 40 MByte 453 KByte 87 Bytes from HD
took 0.262521 seconds (0.262521 reading, 0.000000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.000000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, Sat Jul 29 00:15:27 2006
~~~

I'm using Gentoo and recently the Athlon-XP based machine that it was
built on experienced some difficulties and died. This new system is a
Dual-Core Opteron but I'm still using the Athlon built system from the
old machine and it seems like ever since I started using this Gentoo
build on my new machine is when this all started.

Looking at the logfile above, can anyone point me in the right direction
to fix this?