[ut2004] kernel tickrate (Hz) and server tickrate

Thetargos Fal thetargos at tutopia.com
Wed Jan 18 01:16:35 EST 2006

rob larkin wrote:

> Bill Fraser wrote:

>>> I thought the default timer frequency was 1000 Hz until the option was
>>> introduced.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>> Prior to 2.5.26, Linux on x86 hardware used 100 as the HZ value.
>>
>> - Bill
>>

> Right but isn't it 1000 in 2.6 up through 2.6.13?  I remember reading
> that some people with bad/cheap capacitors had to hack source to
> change the hz value to stop a high frequency whine; then it was made a
> config option.
>
> Rob

It was 250Hz, AFAIK. Or there after (from 2.6.13+) was 250Hz. The thing
is that I made a custom kernel for Fedora in RPM format based around the
CK kernel (with some nitro and official Fedora patches) and apparently
there's quite a difference for game server (I made it primarily for
Desktops). Anyway, I was wondering how does server's tickrate relate to
system's and the rest of the configuration in general.

So like is there a fine tuned configuration? Any preferred settings
besides the hardware obvious ones?