[ut2004] [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

Spike spike at spykes.net
Wed Apr 5 23:08:35 EDT 2006

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:02:09 +1000
Dean Hamstead <dean at bong.com.au> wrote:

> lol, thanks
>
> but im still hoping someone with some serious understanding
> of the ut internals can tell me what its calling without
> violating NDA's etc
>
> Dean
>
> Spike wrote:
> > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:33:37 +1000
> > Dean Hamstead <dean at bong.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >> ive had problems with my 6600gt (pcie) in amd64 (although, its
> >> regardless of ia32/amd64 or distribution or kernel version)
> >>
> >> under...
> >>
> >> [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
> >>
> >> VARSize=32
> >>
> >> i need to set it too
> >>
> >> VARSize=0
> >>
> >> otherwise i get a full system reset. i believe it is looking for
> >> some agp specific information which is not invoking a good reaction
> >> from the nvidia drivers.
> >>
> >> what exactly does VARSize call?
> >>
> >> i get the same problems in cedega/wine emulated games.
> >>
> >> anything i can compile from source (q3, q2 etc) dont have this problem.
> >>

> >> Dean
> >
> > Welcome to the world of longlasting nvidia linux driver buglets.
> >
> > Enjoy your stay.
> >
> > Bren

The answer is simple, VARSize calls up AGP memory, think AGP Aperture
size. Of course this has nothing to do with PCI express based boxes,
and nvidia's drivers aren't doing the right thing.

I just noticed a post on the nvnews forums from someone mentioning the
same thing only to have his thread locked.

Bren