[ut2004] ./ut2004-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at gmx.de
Mon Jun 20 16:35:51 EDT 2005

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> >This is also a pain in the butt when people insist on getting you to
> >setup UT2004 servers on old archaic debian stable based servers that
> >still use gcc2 where this library isn't available.
> >
> >Maybe static'ing it could be the best option.
>
> 1) It's LGPL, so static linking isn't an option.
> 2) Statically linking any part of glibc or libgcc is asking for trouble,
> as we've found in the past, and it doesn't guarantee binary
> compatibility anyhow, since parts of these libraries want to dlopen()
> and otherwise link against other system libraries and behave badly when
> they can't find what they want.

Yes. Please don't link statically :-)

> [...]
> And be sure to remember that breaking binary compatibility is a crappy
> thing to do even in a totally open source world; everyone needs to stop
> viewing that as the application developer's bug and start putting blame
> where it belongs.

Well, it could be worse. The library soname was changed so your app
at least does not use the wrong one and crash. So in this case it's
just a missing library in the _default_ installation of a particular
Linux distribution. Why did noone complain to Fedora while they
where in beta? Apparently they are aware that there are programs
linked against the old libstdc++ and therefore packaged it. Or did
they omit the compat package from the default installation on
purpose?

cu
Ludwig

(o_  Ludwig.Nussel at gmx.de