ATi drivers (Re: Speed of loading maps)

Gian Paolo Mureddu thetargos at tutopia.com
Sun Feb 27 20:48:33 EST 2005

Douglas Wade Needham wrote:

>BTW.  I have been trying to get the ATI driver to run my display under FC3,
>so that I can ditch XP and play on UN*X, but even with this latest
>driver, it still does not work, and instead I end up with it acting as
>if the system were powered down.  I just have not yet had a chance to
>collect the diagnostics and send it off to ATI.  Anybody have any luck
>with FC3 and the 9500Pro?  If so, please reply to that in a separate
>thread or directly.
>
>- Spacey

First of all, what is your hardware? I assume you know that the ATi
drivers are a bit pesky as to the hardware you are running, especially
if you are running a 64-bit system. Most likely you will have to check
your configuration. The driver builds beautifully in my secondary system
(FC3+custom kernel) with a Radeon 9500 NP 128Mb VRAM. Of special
interest is the bit about the option UseInternalAGPGART under the
Section "Device" of your xorg.conf file, and also to check whether you
are running 64-bit or 32-bit Linux. When this happens, try to edit
inittab to boot into init 3 (change the line that reads
id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in order to do this, and see the
latest Xorg log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log). Pay special attention to
lines starting with (EE) and (WW) (Errors and warnings respectively)...
Maybe it can't find a suitable configuration or something?

Hope this helps.