[ut2004] speed of loading maps

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 27 13:26:45 EST 2005

Spike wrote:

>Why sure ya can,
>
>echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/mapped
>
>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:31:08 -0500
>Rick B <zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>>>You need more RAM, and probably a lighter desktop environment, too.  :)
>>>
>>>There was a bug that caused insanely large load times, and it's
>>>possible that it resurfaced...but you are very possibly just swapping
>>>to disk.
>>>
>>>--ryan.
>>>

>>    If your using a 2.6 kernel maybe you should try setting swappiness
>>to zero. You can do this by doing a "echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness".
>>If your using a recent ck kernel though you can't do this as Kolivas
>>took that option out of his more recent patches. I have my swappiness
>>set to 0 and I havent noticed any bad side effects.
>>
>>                   Rick B

I was mainly talking about using the "echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness"
command on the ck kernels. But this does bring up a question I've had.
By default  "/proc/sys/vm/max_map_count" is set to 65536. Is this enough
as it's only 256MB? Setting it to 98304 would raise it to 384MB. Anyone
have an opinion?

                   Rick B