[ut2004] speed of loading maps

Gian Paolo Mureddu thetargos at tutopia.com
Sat Feb 26 20:50:17 EST 2005

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

>> or not enough memory.  I have 256MB RAM and I am running the game in
>> KDE with all apps closed.
>

> You need more RAM, and probably a lighter desktop environment, too.  :)
>
> There was a bug that caused insanely large load times, and it's
> possible that it resurfaced...but you are very possibly just swapping
> to disk.
>
> --ryan.

Jus as reference... If we're talking about this infamous bug here, I
think I'll outline how it was like when it was present:

Load times would be very high, but if you have an HDD LED light on your
computer case, you would notice that there was no disk activity, the
drive would sit there with the loading splash screen, only a brief
activity when the screen appeared, then nothing for a _VERY_ long time
(~2-3 minutes), all of a sudden the HDD would have lots of activity
which lasted for about 10-15 seconds and your game would start. With a
fresh install of UT2004 and UT2003 there was a map that _ALWAYS_ did
take its time to load with the behaviuor expalained above: CTF-Skorbut,
I thought the time this map took to load was due to the way it was done
and the fact that it contained too much vertex data and I assumed the
engie would have to pre-calculate those vertices, then at a certain
patch release, this happen with every single map, effectively bein
identified as a bug.

My system's specs:
Athlon XP 2200+
512 Mb PC-2700 RAM @ 333 Mhz.
GeForce FX 5900 128 Mb video card. Driver 6629
Sound Blaster Live! Value sound card with ALSA 1.0.8
Fedora Core 3 Linux
Custom kenrel 2.6.10-AC10