[ut2004] Crashes in 3270-1 and 3323

Adar Dembo adar at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 14 18:15:43 EDT 2004

Most interesting.

I made one small change today to my X setup. In
modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, under the nvidia alias, I added "option
nvidia NVReg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVReg_EnableAGPFW=1", so that when I stopped
gdm, unloaded the module, and restarted gdm, "cat
/proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status" said that SBA and Fastwrites were
enabled.

After making this change, UT2004 would start just as it had in the past.
No problems, no glitches, nothing. I've played several times now, and it
seems ALMOST flawless. The one flaw I've had was that once, after
quitting UT2k4, gdm crashed, restarted itself, and put me back in the
gdmlogin screen. It killed my entire session too.

Not a huge problem, at least I can now play the game, and like I said it
has only happened once so far. Virtual consoles still work, switching
refresh rates and such still work. So I'm left with two questions:

1) Did enabling SBA/FW really fix the problem, or is it just random that
it works now?

2) Why did gdm crash that one time that UT2k4 exited?

-Adar