UT2004 Tickrate/Packets on Windows and Linux

Christoph Balzer christoph.balzer at serveracademy.de
Tue Sep 7 13:47:52 EDT 2004

Hi,

as it is known, the tickrate had to be set higher on Linux than Windows
due to the way the Linux scheduler worked in earlier kernels. But with
newer versions of the kernel, the necessary patch should be included so
that it should be "exactly" the same on both systems. (I use kernel
2.6.8.1, so this should not be a problem)

Well, here is my "problem" or better "the strange thing": Normally, I
have an inconstant number of packets out (only about +/- 3 or 4, between
37 and 43) and a very inconstant number of packets in (if I am all alone
on the server, I have something between 3 and 22) (tickrate 40).
But he said, on a Windows-server, he had a constant number of  35 (the
tickrate there was 35).
So my both questions: 1) Why is it constant on Windows and not on Linux
(or is this just not normal?)?
2) Was the number of incoming packets lower to save traffic or is this
because of something else?

Thanks a lot!
Christoph