[ut2004] what Linux distros?

Dennis Dryden ddryden at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 2 12:19:08 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:38, ut2k4 at agno.net wrote:
[...]
> I run it on Debian with an XFS filesystem--seems to work fine.  I would
> think that the fs probably doesn't make a big difference unless you swap
> a lot.  It runs better in Windows, but that's largely due to the
> drivers for my ATI card.

The file system will be a big thing for loading the game only. Most
Linux installs will use a swap partition that has no real file system so
swapping will not be affected by the file system type. I run on Debian
with ext3 file system for /usr/local/ (ut2004 is installed on this
partition) i don't think ext3 is the best choice but i haven't got round
to changing it. ReiserFS and XFS seem to preform well for different
things but i don't believe there has been any clear winner in the
benchmarks Ive seen. Maybe ReiserFS4 will be one to watch now that its
getting merged into the kernel.

Dennis