[ut2004] 64 bit linux client and poor fps appears largely because of audio... :o

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 30 13:59:19 EST 2004

Clint Goudie-Nice wrote:

>So here's the full everything turned on with audio disabled by disabling
>it in my modprobe.conf
>
>22.973078 / 59.852924 / 156.871506 fps -- Score = 57.980434        rand
>[1407776544]
>
>This would seem to indicate that audio is the actual culprit here. :o
>
>back when I had my .openalrc in place, it looked like this:
>
>(define speaker-num 2)
>(define devices '(alsa))
>(define alsa-out-device "surround40:0,0")
>(define alsa-in-device "hw:0,0")
>
>However the viop didn't work at all in this configuration.
>Is there any way to get a list of the alsa-in-device(s) so that I can
>put the correct one here?
>
>Also, I used surround40:0,0 because with hw:0,0 ut2004 wouldn't start.
>Is there any way to get a list of the alsa-out-devices as well?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Clint

Yes, turning audio off will give you a big fps boost. Here's what I'm at
with no audio:

9.592334 / 72.216370 / 220.897797 fps         rand[496427488]
Score = 67.370560

If I was still using the 3323 patch I'd probably be at around 75fps or
so. Keep in mind that you have much better hardware than I do. If your
using the 64-bit binaries I'd think of trying the 32-bit instead.
Something still isn't right with you system because I would think that
you'd probably be at around 80 on the bench with sound turned on. I've
seen comparison benchmarks betwen Windows and Linux and usually the
Linux client runs a little bit faster (thanks to Ryan). Wish I had a
definte answer for you.  I saw your post on the NvNews site and I think
posting there is a good idea as the people that reply usually know more
than I do.

                     Rick B