[ut2004] Help? 64 bit linux client and poor fps.

Zachary Williams admin at ztnet.com
Sat Nov 27 01:55:14 EST 2004

I have two suggestions.  In the bios, how much memory do you allow for the
AGP device to use?  (I can't recall the setting name specifically).
Ensuring it's not as some insane low number like 4 or 8 megabytes would be
good, although unless you changed it from the default, it should be at 32 or
64.  I've heard many 'suggestions' for this setting, but the one I hear most
often is 1/2 your ram amount.

Secondly, have you tried turning OFF sound completely?  You have windows and
linux available, so check your FPS with sound on and off on the windows
side, then check again on the linux side and see if anything looks off.  We
are focusing on it being a 'video' issue, but perhaps it is something else
in the system not allowing the video card to get enough data by starving CPU
or something else.

If you notice a huge boost in linux by turning off sound, let us know, as I
have a few other ideas to point you at on that front.

Zach