[ut2004] Help? 64 bit linux client and poor fps.

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Nov 26 17:15:59 EST 2004

Clint Goudie-Nice wrote:

>I've tried increasing it to as high as 128 to no avail..
>
>On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 14:03 -0600, Paul wrote:

>>>CTF-CBP2-Botanic will dip into the 20s for me at certain spots. Mostly
>>>when I'm looking at a big open area, and that map is very open. I always
>>>thought it was bad map design...ONS open areas work better...
>>>

>>Running out of memory for Static Meshes possibly?  If that is the case
>>then this tweak from the ut2004-linux FAQ may possibly fix it.
>>
>>Q: I've got an awesome box, but I can't get more than 9 fps on AS-
>>Mothership. Help!
>>A: Open up your UT2004.ini file and change VARSize=32 to VARSize=64. It
>>should be under the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section. That should
>>do the trick. VARSize controls how much static geometry in megabytes can
>>be cached in AGP memory.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Paul

Clint,
    If you using a vanilla kernel switching to something like a ck
kernel might help. Also make sure you might want to turn off stuff like
magicdev, xscreensaver, eggcups, etc.. , as these processes  check every
few seconds to see if, for example a new cd has been inserted into the
cdplayer or if a new document has been added to the printer queue. It
might not help overall fps but it will smooth gameplay out. I created a
launcher on my desktop that when clicked will shut these processes down
by executing the command "killall magicdev | killall xscreensaver |
killall eggcups". What speed is the cpu you have?

                Rick B