[ut2004] Help? 64 bit linux client and poor fps.

Clint Goudie-Nice clint at magicalspirits.net
Thu Nov 25 00:34:58 EST 2004

The adventure continues...

At the end of the day, the spot that I'm using to test my fps I've now
gotten up to about 19~22 fps. That's still a far cry from 40 fps in that
same spot in windows, and the frustrating thing is that turning down my
settings in ut won't improve it at all.

Thanks to Kris, in my modprobe.conf I added
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

and I have fast writes going...

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        8x
Fast Writes:     Enabled
SBA:             Enabled

Also thanks to Kris, I've tried in my corg.conf
>         Option          "RenderAccel" "1"
>         #Option          "AllowGLXWithComposite"
But these don't seem to have effect on the in game fps. On or off...

Also, thanks to Rick, I've played with my ~.openalrc
(define speaker-num 2)
(define devices '(alsa))
(define alsa-out-device "surround40:0,0")
(define alsa-in-device "hw:0,0")

I had to change the out device to surround40, otherwise ut wouldn't
start at all. This did seem to affect my fps a little little bit. ~2fps

I also recompiled the openal from source I pulled down from the openal
site, and replaced the one in my ut2004/System with it. Fedora Core 3
comes with a built libSDL-1.2, so I replaced the one in my ut2004/System
directory with it. These changes had a marginal ~2fps change on my play.

Also I've played with some settings in my UT2004.ini which limit what I
can change in the user interface, but turning settings in that down
doesn't have any effect anyway...
UseVBO=True
UseVSync=True
I've read elsewhere turning these on has a negative impact. For me
they're the only setting in my UT2004.ini that made any difference on my
fps at all. ~2 fps by turning them both on.

Any other ideas out there?

Clint